Wednesday, October 13

(One of) The Best Things I Ever Ate

This blog post is inspired by an unforgettable lunch I shared with friends at Jake's Ready-To-Eat in Palm Springs. It was one of the most delightful and refreshing meals I've ever had. Bold statement, I know but maybe you'll understand after I describe to you what I ordered (err, devoured)... a Seared Ahi Tuna Wrap with organic greens lightly tossed in a soy-sesame-sake vinaigrette and tomatoes rolled with wasabi aioli in a spinach wrap. The wrap was served alongside organic greens tossed with the same vinaigrette. It was ridic. From the delicately seared Ahi to the lightly dressed greens, this dish was jam packed with flavor. I was quite literally in taste bud heaven.

Photo Credit: LeighAnn Smith
I have to admit, I'm big on organic. Throw the word organic (or "locally grown") on any food product and I'm usually taking it home. I also have to admit that sometimes, even if food is organic (take potato chips, for example) it doesn't necessarily coincide with better tasting food. When available I tend to choose organic over non for meats and vegetables. I can honestly taste the difference when it comes to those items. Don't worry, I'm not climbing up on my soapbox. I'll save that for a later post.

Back to this amazing lunch... after we were done eating I very politely asked our waitress if she knew how the vinaigrette was made. Her response? "Let me go ask our Chef." She came back with the recipe written down. I was ecstatic. Chefs can often be secretive as to the exact measurements/ingredients in a dish. Thankfully this fantastic chef was willing to share the love...



Soy-Sake Vinaigrette
Recipe courtesy Jake's Ready-To-Eat in Palm Springs, CA
3 cups soy sauce
3 cups sake (any cheap, filtered sake is fine)
1 cup sesame oil
1/3 cup green onion, finely chopped
Handful sesame seeds (I used white)


Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil. Let cool and refrigerate.


Wasabi Aioli
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, very finely chopped (you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon Wasabi powder

1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
 

Combine all ingredients.

The reason I'm sharing this today is because, as with the chowder yesterday, I made this meal for lunch for my boss. The vinaigrette turned out perfectly! You only need a small amount when dressing the greens and in the wrap. If you're trying to watch salt content, you could easily substitute light soy sauce for the regular; might tone down the vinaigrette a bit. I substituted roasted chicken for the Ahi (he doesn't eat fish), added sliced orange bell peppers and shredded carrots (he doesn't eat tomatoes) and wrapped in a regular tortilla since I already had them on hand. Picture below for your viewing pleasure. Happy Wednesday!


 

1 comment:

  1. hahaha you really did credit my photo! you're so cute. best lunch everrrr. save me some of that dressing for this weekend. woo!! :)

    ReplyDelete