Monday, November 8

Chicken Pot Pie on the Go

So after a week of summery 85 degree weather, it was finally chilly enough for some layers today! It was windy and cold (well, for Vegas) while walking to my car which got me in the mood for warm, feel good comfort food to end my Monday. This recipe is a take on one I'd found online some time ago courtesy Miss Paula Deen, but I of course spruced it up with fresh veggies and created a healthier version than the original (i.e. omitting a stick of butter).

Chicken pot pie is like delicious, homemade meatloaf -- for me, it brings about that warm fuzzy food feeling I love so much. This recipe doesn't call for homemade dough and I bought a whole roasted chicken from the grocery store which makes it very time and kitchen friendly. The ingredients are simple, and from prep to cooking should only take you about an hour. It is a fabulous (and delicious) take on "homemade" chicken pot pie. I baked mine in a 2 quart casserole dish, but for a more elegant touch you could absolutely divide the mixture up into individual ramekins and serve, probably about 6 servings. Feel free to add whatever veggies you like, I've added potatoes in the past as well as corn and winter squash.

Easy Chicken Pot Pie
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
1 cup frozen peas
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups instant biscuit mix
1 cup milk (I used 1%)
1 can condensed cream of chicken (I used the 99% fat free version)
1 cup chicken broth or stock

Preheat oven to 350F. In saute pan, heat one tablespoon of EVOO. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and fresh thyme and saute until almost tender, about 3-5 minutes. In large bowl, whisk together cream of chicken, broth/stock, pepper, salt, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Add in veggie mixture along with peas and chicken, stir to combine. Transfer to greased casserole dish. In separate bowl, whisk biscuit mix and milk until smooth. Pour evenly over pot pie filling and bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Note: With 10 minutes left, brush top with EVOO and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper. This will help with the browning. Let set about 10-15 minutes after removing from the oven. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I think I'm going to try this sometime this week :)

    ReplyDelete